DELETE command: Field
- File manager
- Deletes a field from a Model 204 file
DELETE FIELD fieldname
Where fieldname is the name of a field in the currently open Model 204 file.
DELETE FIELD EMPID
- When a field is deleted, Model 204 removes the definition of the field and all occurrences of data for that field.
Depending on the size of the file and the field type, a DELETE FIELD command might take a long time to complete.
- You cannot delete record security fields, sort, or hash key fields. If the specified field is in a Model 204 file with record security, the file manager must have record security override privileges.
- When it processes DELETE FIELD, Model 204 ends any update unit in progress and begins a non-backoutable update unit.
- As of Model 204 V7.5, DELETE FIELD does not allow deletion of fields referred to by an existing CONCATENATION-OF (CAT) or COUNT-OCCURRENCES-OF (CTO) field.
Handling the date/time stamp field in a file
The DELETE FIELD command is prohibited for the DTSFN field in a file when the FOPT X'10' bit is set. Attempting to do so results in the following message:
M204.2727: CAN'T DELETE DTS FIELD WHEN FOPT=X'10' IS ON
Large Object data support
The DELETE FIELD command supports the Large Object data types, so you can delete a Large Object field. However, the space in Table B and Table E is not automatically available for reuse.
OI CHUNK fields
Deleting OI chunk and OI chunk target fields is not allowed.