Update (CharacterMap subroutine)
Update this CharacterMap (CharacterMap class)
The method lets you modify existing character associations or add new ones. The method's parameters and mapping rules are the same as the New method.
characterMap:Update( In= string, [Out= string], [Pad= c])
|characterMap||A CharacterMap object.|
|In||A required, name required, argument that specifies the "input table" characters that you are adding or resetting. No character can be specified more than once in the In string, which may not be more than 256 characters.|
|Out||An optional, name required, argument that specifies the "output table" characters. The Out string may not be longer than the In string; it may be shorter, however, as long as a Pad character is specified. The Out string may not be more than 256 characters.|
|Pad||An optional, name required, argument that specifies the character used to pad the output table string on the right if it is shorter than the In string. Pad must be a single character, only.|
- Case is respected in all character specifications.
- If an In string character you specify is already mapped in the method object, the existing mapping is modified by the association indicated in the Update call. If an In string character you specify is not already mapped, the association indicated in the Update call is added to the method object's mapping.
- If the In string is longer than the Out string, the "extra" In characters are associated with the Pad character. In this case, it is a request-canceling error if no Pad character is present.
- The Out argument can be omitted, as long as a Pad argument is present. The Pad argument has no default.
- For an example of an Update call, see the "CharacterMap class" page.